Tune in TODAY for our first Facebook Live event at 1:00! You won't want to miss our New Hampshire State Director discussing the disastrous voting rollbacks in New Hampshire! Find it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1299717226763051/
America Votes is the coordination hub of the progressive community. We lead collaborative efforts among a diverse coalition of more than 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections, and protect every American’s right to vote. Our organization works nationally and in more than 20 states to provide a range of services to our partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states. America Votes’ coalition partners advocate for a broad range of issues including, but not limited to, environmental protection, public education, human and civil rights, women’s choice and labor. For more information about America Votes, visit our website at www.americavotes.org.
The North Carolina Organizing Director plays a key role in the advancement of the progressive movement in the state, responsible for the year-round coordination and alignment of electoral, organizing, advocacy and policy work among partners and allies. The position works directly with the America Votes team in North Carolina, as well as dozens of progressive partners and allies with the state’s progressive movement. This position reports directly to the North Carolina State Director.
Based in Raleigh, North Carolina
Strategic planning – supporting coalition partners and allies through the development of campaign plans (electoral, issue advocacy, and voting rights campaigns), providing technical and organizing assistance, responding to programmatic requests and participating actively in long-range strategic planning for the North Carolina progressive movement.
- Support coalition coordination by tracking organizational programs, monitoring benchmarks, providing technical assistance, and identifying gaps in collective strategy.
- Organize and facilitate coordinated and/or collaborative partner events, including coalition meetings, trainings and direct voter contact activities.
- Develop capacity building opportunities for partners and work directly with the State Director and Data Director to assess program gaps and overlaps to maximize program impact.
- Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support and enhance issue advocacy and voter contact programs, including assistance in employing best practices.
Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus, negotiate, and strategically disagree within a highly collaborative work environment; ability to be respected by progressive stakeholders, to be trusted to lead and to be able to practice confidentiality, discretion and legal compliance in the work.
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners and allies and to cultivate those relationships over the long term; experience facilitating and working within broad and diverse coalitions.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, particularly in political and organizing settings.
- Ability to work independently and to drive and manage own workload; ability to manage several tasks / projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively by making and meeting team goals.
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation and time management skills, with attention to detail.
- Ability to travel within the state (as needed); ability to work sometimes long, irregular hours, especially during the peak months of the electoral cycle.
- Ideal candidates will have 4-5 years of experience in progressive political campaigns, progressive non-profits (with an organizing focus) or within similar entities.
- Knowledge of and experience with North Carolina political landscape and / or independent expenditure political campaigns.
- Knowledge of and experience with organizing and electoral work in the context of the Southern US.
- Experience or training in race equity / anti-racist frameworks; a general understanding of how power intersects with gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and class in organizing and electoral settings.
- Strong VAN (Voter Activation Network) skills and familiarity with digital campaign technology.
Salary is commensurate with experience but ranges from $55,000 – $60,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision and 401K.
Please email a copy of your resume, a cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “NC Organizing Director” in the subject line.
America Votes is committed to creating a dynamic, multi-cultural, diverse working environment. Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer
Without ACA, our development assoc. @ETodes could lose her insurance at the age of 42. https://t.co/Psv6ywJJG8